Sunday, November 15, 2009

Dummkopf Dunkelweizen

Today I finally got around to brewing my dunkelweizen. Things went very well; more on that later.

The Recipe:

4.5 lb European Pilsner malt
4.5 lb wheat malt
2 oz chocolate malt

4 AAU (9g @ 13% AA) Nugget @ 60
2 AAU (16g @ 3.5% AA) Czech Saaz @ 15

Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen

Single infusion mash for 60 minutes at about 150° using 11.5 quarts; fly sparged with ~170-185° water until I had about 25 quarts for the boil.

O.G.: 1.057
Est. IBU: 20.4

So, in an attempt to maximize mash efficiency, I ran the grain through the mill twice at my LHBS. And guess what! I managed 90% efficiency this time around. I was rather gobsmacked to see it, but happy. Dummkopf is going to be a little higher ABV than planned, but I think I can deal.

One unfortunate thing is that I lazily let the grain sit unused for almost 2 weeks after milling but before brewing; it didn't seem nasty so I think I'm OK, but I'm still a little apprehensive about the effects of oxidation (or whatever other processes can occur in a paper bag).

No comments:

Post a Comment