Thursday, November 26, 2009

A Mishap

So, today I had my first real bottle-related mishap. I had brought a selection of homebrews to my parents' house to share for Thanksgiving, including one bottle of my dwindling supply of Brevity Wit. But when I popped the cap to pour a sample for my brother, I heard no satisfying "kshh" sound; when I poured, the beer was flat and rather foul smelling. Let this be a lesson: cap your bottles tightly, kids, or you too will know the shame of massively oxidized homebrew.

On another note, I tried Blackacre IPA now that it has had enough time to really carbonate and found it quite tasty. Initial comments from my brothers tend to confirm that I have indeed finally made a somewhat successful hop-centric beer. I also sampled a Procrastination today and it was pretty good; another week or two won't hurt it, but I think it's turning into a solid porter.

My brewing goals for this weekend are manifold: bottle Bar-None Brown, rack Terrible Tripel to the secondary, maybe rack Dummkopf to a secondary and brew another batch of Brevity Wit. Racking Dummkopf would require the acquisition of another secondary, but it may be worth it; I definitely need to get Terrible into the secondary if I want to have it bottled and drinkable before Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment