Thursday, March 4, 2010

Yeast Recycling

So, I have decided to try re-using my yeast for a second batch. Up until now, I've always just bought new yeast (thus far, always Wyeast smack-packs) for each batch. However, now I have formulated a couple of recipes to allow me to experiment with yeast re-use.

Plan I: use Wyeast 1272 American Ale II to brew a regular-gravity high-hop IPA, then harvest those yeast after racking to pitch into a batch of Imperial IPA. The first batch will essentially be a starter for the second; this will test the idea of brewing a much bigger beer of a similar style for the second generation of yeast.

Plan II: use Wyeast 1056 American Ale to brew up an amber ale, then harvest the yeast cake for brewing up a hoppy American stout. This will test the idea of brewing a much darker beer for the second generation of yeast.

I had originally considered just pouring my wort directly onto the yeast cake left in the fermenter of the prior batch; however, after reading this article I think I will harvest the yeast from the fermenter the previous day and pitch a more appropriate quantity of yeast. I think I'm more comfortable cleaning and sanitizing the fermenter in between batches anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment