Monday, July 12, 2010

Heat Wave Hefeweizen

On Saturday I brewed my first hefeweizen and 25th batch overall. I had to use my older, smaller mash tun as the new one is temporarily out of commission after Pyatiletka.

The Recipe:

4 lb 2-row pale malt
4 lb wheat malt

3 AAU (28g @ 3% AA) Hallertauer @ 60
3 AAU (28g @ 3% AA) Hallertauer @ 20
3 AAU (28g @ 3% AA) Hallertauer @ 5

Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen

Mashed at 152° for an hour using about 10.5 quarts of water. Sparged with 170-180° water.

O.G.: 1.044
Est. IBU: 21.9

Brewing was extremely uneventful -- just the way I like it. As the name suggests, we were experiencing a heat wave hereabouts when I brewed on Saturday, although we discovered later it was to be the tail-end of the heat. Still, I pitched pretty high (73°, probably higher than I should have) and the temperature in the fermenter quickly ramped up to the low-mid 80s once fermentation began in earnest.

The blow-off airlock fluid had a distinctly banana-ey aroma to it, so I have high hopes for this one. I think I'll just let it run a week each in primary and secondary and then keg it quickly. I want to be able to enjoy it in the heat.

No comments:

Post a Comment