Monday, April 11, 2011

Blackacre Butte #3

Saturday I brewed up another batch of Blackacre Butte. This is the recipe I used for my first two batches of homebrew almost two years ago; it should be interesting to see whether the improvements to my processes and equipment have actually improved the beer.

The Recipe:

10 lb 2-row pale malt
9 oz chocolate malt
10 oz crystal 60°
8 oz roasted barley

4 AAU (10g @ 11% AA) Galena @ 60 min
4.25 AAU (22g @ 5.4% AA) Cascade @ 30 min
4.5 AAU (39g @ 3.2% AA) Tettnanger @ 5 min

Whirlfloc tablet @ 15 min

Wyeast 1318 - London Ale III

Mashed at 152° for an hour using about 14 quarts of water. Batch-sparged using 165-185° water and collected 6.5 gallons for the boil.

O.G.: 1.049
Est. IBU: 32.3

Brewing was uneventful. My mash efficiency was pretty damn low -- 65%. I think I could have been a little smarter with my sparging and got a little bit more extract that way, but I'm thinking that, per usual, this poor performance is down to the crush. I will need to adjust my mill for a finer crush and get a drill or something to operate it, because this milling by hand is for the birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment