Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Château Saison

Last night I brewed up my first attempt at a saison. I mixed things up a little by throwing in about an ounce and a half of freshly grated ginger at the five-minute mark, so we'll see how that comes out. Also, this was the first time I'd ever brewed after work, and it seems doable for the future (4:45 start time; 5:15 dough-in; pitched at 9:00).

The Recipe:

11 lb European Pilsner malt
12 oz Vienna malt
4 oz acidulated malt

6 AAU (33g @ 5.1% AA) Fuggles @ 60
3 AAU (16g @ 5.1% AA) Fuggles @ 20
3 AAU (26g @ 3.2% AA) Tettnanger @ 20
5 AAU (44g @ 3.2% AA) Tettnanger @ 5

1.5 oz (42g) grated fresh ginger root @ 5

Wyeast 3711 - French Saison

Mashed at 147° for an hour using about 15 quarts of water. Batch-sparged using ~165° water and collected 26 quarts for the boil.

O.G.: 1.055
Est. IBU: 40.6

Brewing was uneventful and pretty quick. Mash efficiency was 74%, which is right in the ballpark I'm trying to hit. I tasted the wort after cooling and it definitely had a noticeable ginger flavor, so I'm hoping that comes through in the finished product.

One thing I'm trying with this brew is that it is fermenting in the hall closet rather than under a desk in the kitchen. I'm hoping that keeping it away from the light will help prevent the development of off flavors. I'm going to be doing this for all my beers going forward, so hopefully I'll reap some dividends from that.

No comments:

Post a Comment