Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Vienna Hefeweizen

The Sunday before last, I brewed up an ad-hoc Hefeweizen out of two-thirds wheat malt and the rest Vienna. I'm a bit late getting a post up about it, though.

The Recipe:

6 lb wheat malt
3 lb Vienna malt

4.5 AAU (39g @ 3.2% AA) Tettnanger @ 60
4.5 AAU (39g @ 3.2% AA) Tettnanger @ 20
4.5 AAU (39g @ 3.2% AA) Tettnanger @ 5

Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan Weizen

Mashed at a rather low 146° for an hour using about 12 quarts of water, a bit looser than I normally do. Once again I mashed out with about 8 quarts at about 170°, then performed a single-batch sparge at about 165°.

O.G.: 1.040
Est. IBU: 33.4

Got a rather low 68% mash efficiency this time around, so I don't know how much I like this mash-out business. It speeds up my brew day about 15 minutes, though, so it will be a hard process to give up.

This brew session I also monkeyed with my grain mill to try to get it to grind a little bit finer, but evidently I didn't actually accomplish this. I will have to get some calipers or something to allow me to measure the effective gap and actually improve upon it.

No comments:

Post a Comment