Saturday, June 20, 2009

A Tun o' Fun

Yesterday Emily and I bottled the Blackacre Butte #1. It tasted the same as when we racked it and had the same final gravity of 1.006. Primed with 3/4 cup corn sugar dissolved into a pint of water and bottled; ended up with 21 22oz bottles. We'll see in a week or two how it has shaped up.

Today I built a mash tun using these instructions:
Cheap & Easy Mash Lauter Tun

I used a 5-gallon cooler rather than a 10-gallon; in hindsight, the 10 gallon should have been what I got. Also, the parts didn't fit together quite as well for me as they did for him, and after 30 minutes full of water it leaked a drop or two; I'm going to go ahead and brew with it once to see what happens, and then maybe update the design. I used the hose clamps which in his implementation corroded after a couple of uses; I'll have to see how they last for me.

Lesson learned: I need a Dremel kit. Using a hacksaw to cut apart that stainless steel braid sleeve was a big pain and left me with these insanely frayed edges. I think a rotary tool would have helped here.

No comments:

Post a Comment