Monday, April 5, 2010

Time Heals All Brews

Yesterday I sampled a bottle of batch #5, Mulligan ESB. This was a beer that never carbonated in the bottle; I hate throwing things out, so it's just been sitting for a little over seven months in my junk room.

I was rather astonished to find how well it had matured. It's still basically uncarbonated, but it has developed a flavor profile similar to a barleywine or a Belgian dubbel (albeit lighter in color and flavor intensity). I was rather impressed, to say the least. I'm looking forward to trying it on its one-year birthday to see how much more it has matured.

I'm also considering opening all the bottles and kegging it. I probably have about 18 or so bottles of it left, so that's about 3 gallons total; it may just be worthwhile to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment