Saturday, April 24, 2010

A Whole New Tun

Yesterday, I received in the mail a new 10 gallon cylindrical Rubbermaid cooler. I then had to go visit Lowe's to get new brass fittings and a new stainless steel braid from a faucet hose. It turns out that what I got did not exactly accomplish what I wanted to convert my new cooler into a mash tun, but luckily I had a few left over fittings from my first mash tun which allowed me to construct something that works.

Unlike my last tun, I was not able to re-use the built-in o-ring seal, so I had to use silicone caulking gel (designed for aquarium and food-safe use) to make my connections water-tight. Now, this stuff says that it does not necessarily bond well to metal or certain kinds of plastic, so it may end up being a bad choice. Still, it's worth a try.

Today I may try kegging and/or bottling batches 17 and 18. That would free up a carboy for brewing a heavily-smoked porter for which I picked up ingredients today and may brew later today or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment