Friday, May 28, 2010

Keg Knowledge

Yesterday I kegged up 24 Hour Mild for the 24-24-24 challenge coming up tomorrow. It finished at 1.003, or about 3.3% ABV. Nice and light in alcohol and relatively dark and flavorful; I'm looking forward to drinking a bunch of it.

On Wednesday I went to a local welding supply store and exchanged my CO2 tank for a fresh one, since I didn't know how much life my old tank had left. The regulator wasn't into the red "empty" range, but it was out of the green "full" range and I didn't want to risk losing pressure in the middle of the event. I'm pretty happy with how much use I got out of the old one: 3 kegs carbonated and fully dispensed, with 5 other kegs carbonated and partially dispensed. It should be noted that that CO2 tank was a little over half full when I bought it, so I'm thinking I'll get plenty of use out of this new full tank. The tank exchange is a little under $14, so if I get 10 kegs carbed and 5 dispensed, that's only about a dollar per operation. It's totally worth a buck to avoid bottling.

In preparation for kegging 24 Hour, I fully took apart and cleaned the keg I was going to use. I disassembled the posts, replaced the internal O-rings and inspected and washed the poppets, dip tubes and posts themselves. This was a valuable learning experience; the out-post on my keg of Ol' Smokey is somewhat leaky when the pressure is too high, and now I know how to find and replace the poppet. They're about $4.50 it seems, so I might buy a couple in order to have extras around just in case.

2 comments:

  1. Did you remember to grease the gaps before sloting the rake? Also, its a good idea to shank the dots and file the lip of the trap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's only for a 6.5 gallon pin-lock sankey.

    ReplyDelete