Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Mash Tun Odyssey

Well, it turns out that the sealant gel stuff does not actually bond well to either the plastic of the Rubbermaid container or the brass fittings. My next step was a couple of neat rubber washers held on with Krazy Glue, but that didn't bond to the plastic either. Design failures no. 2 and 3.

So, faced with the fact that nothing bonds to cylindrical coolers, I got a #5½ drilled stopper and experimented with that. Unfortunately, my brass and stainless steel fittings were just too heavy, it seemed, and tended to pull the stopper at a downward angle and cause leaks. Failure no. 4.

Yesterday, I went to my LHBS to see if they had perhaps a better-fitting stopper, which they did not. They did, however, have these little plastic ball valves with 3/8" hose barbs on each end. Aha! This fit perfectly into the stopper, so I stopped at Home Depot and got a 3/8" brass hose barb splicer, clamped my hose braid onto it, and stuck it in the other end of the stopper. Tested it, and though it did leak a little at first, it apparently eventually sealed itself. It lost maybe an ounce or so of water in 90 minutes, so really not bad.

So now I have 30 or 40 bucks' worth of brass and stainless pipe nipples, hose barbs, couplers and ball valves, and $6 of plumbing parts actually in use in the tun. Frankly, I'm just glad to be at the end of that adventure. Can't wait to brew this weekend with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment