Friday, May 21, 2010

A Kegging Odyssey

So, I came to a couple of conclusions today:

1) I brew way more beer than I drink;
2) I hate bottling now that I've gotten into kegging.

The result of this is that I bought two more Corny kegs today so that I could keg Blackacre American Stout and Ol' Smokey. Done and done; they came out to neat 5.4% and 5% ABV, respectively. Another week should tell me if they are any good.

My 24 Hour Mild, which I racked tonight, and which is planned for the 24-24-24 challenge, will have to get into the keg sometime before, say, Thursday, if I want to carb it up so it's ready to go. That means I have until then to finish up The Elder, the brew of which I have the least left in the keg. I growler'd up some tonight and poured a pint while I was at it; I think I probably have between one-half and one gallon left, but we shall see.

I also racked Backbreaker Wee Heavy tonight, and it read a nice 1.032. That means it's rocking about 9% ABV as well as having tons of body, flavor and caramelized sweetness. Finally, mashing high yields the expected results!

2 comments:

  1. why don't you bring some of The Elder to Jessie's birthday party tomorrow, if you want to get rid of it. Then I won't have to buy beer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure that can be arranged. I'll just bring the growler I filled yesterday.

    ReplyDelete