Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Kölsch II: the Kölschening

So, over the weekend I brewed up two batches -- the first time I've ever brewed two days in a row. My first batch is a Kölsch which attempts to improve upon my last, chiefly through different hopping, improved mash efficiency and improved fermentation temperature control.

The Recipe:

9 lb 2-row pale malt
8 oz Munich malt

6 AAU (48g @ 3.5% AA) Czech Saaz @ 60
3 AAU (24g @ 3.5% AA) Czech Saaz @ 30
4 AAU (32g @ 3.5% AA) Czech Saaz @ 5

1 Irish Moss tablet @ 15 min

Wyeast 2565 - Kölsch

Mashed at 150° for an hour using 13 quarts of water. Batch-sparged using 170-190° water and collected 6.5 gallons for the boil.

O.G.: 1.052
Est. IBU: 36.2

I had upped the total grain bill by a pound since my last Kölsch had such poor efficiency and was so light (OG of 1.035!), but I ended up getting 80% mash efficiency so the gravity is a hair higher than what I wanted. Still, it's within operational parameters.

For the most part, I'm trying to keep my fermentation temperature below 60° on this one, although it did drift up to about 62-63° yesterday before I refreshed the ice in the cooling tub. I think I should end up with a pretty crisp brew this time, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment