Thursday, March 10, 2011

It's Milling Time!

Today I took another equipment-related plunge and bought a grain mill. This should help me out in at least three areas: one, I will hopefully be able to attain better and more consistent mash efficiency when I am in control of my own crushing; two, I will be able to buy grain in bulk, which will hopefully save me a little cash; and three, I will be able to do things like toast or smoke my own grain prior to crushing.

Efficiency and convenience are what I'm really after, but it will be cool to have home-crushing ability so that I can brew styles like Grätzer (made from 100% smoked wheat -- definitely not available at my LHBS). I also dream for the day that I have enough ingredients at home so that if I decide to brew, I don't necessarily have to make a special trip to the store. I already have a huge stock of hops at home, so if I buy myself a couple bags of base malt and try to keep a couple varieties of yeast around, I should be golden!

1 comment: