Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Two Bails Cream Ale

On Sunday, while recovering from wisdom tooth removal, I mustered the energy to brew up a batch of cream ale. It is named in honor of the 2011 Cricket World Cup, which is going on right now.

The Recipe:

7 lb 6-row malt
1 lb flaked maize

3 AAU (6g @ 14.5% AA) Columbus @ 60
3 AAU (15g @ 5.6% AA) Challenger @ 20
3 AAU (8g @ 10.7% AA) Amarillo @ 5

Whirlfloc tablet @ 15

Wyeast 1056 - American Ale

Mashed at 148° for an hour using 10 quarts of water. Batch-sparged using 160-170° water and collected 6.5 gallons for the boil.

O.G.: 1.036
Est. IBU: 22.2

The idea was for this to be a pretty low-ABV cream ale, so I think I will end up using it as a starter and using its yeast in a couple of IPAs or something. One interesting thing with this brew is that, other than yeast and Irish moss, it is my first time using each of these ingredients. 6-row barley, flaked corn and each of the varieties of hops used are new to me, so hopefully it turns out OK.

In other news, batch #35, Noble Mild, took 4th place in the Cascade Brewers Cup. There is no prize for 4th, but I do get an honorable mention. So, that's something!

No comments:

Post a Comment