Sunday, February 27, 2011

Bulldog Brown Ale

Yesterday my friend Ben came over and we brewed up a brown ale based on a slightly charged-up version of my mild ale. He's thinking of going into brewing, so he wanted to see the process; luckily it was an uneventful (read: successful) brewday.

The Recipe:

8 lb 2-row pale malt
8 oz Cara-Munich
6 oz chocolate malt

6 AAU (37g @ 4.5% AA) Willamette @ 60
1.1 AAU (7g @ 4.5% AA) Willamette @ 15

1 Whirlfloc tablet @ 15 min

Wyeast 1968 - London ESB

Mashed at 148° for an hour using 11.25 quarts of water. Batch-sparged using 160-170° water and collected 6.5 gallons for the boil.

O.G.: 1.043
Est. IBU: 27.8

I only hit 70% efficiency, so it was a little under my desired gravity, but I think it should work out OK in the end. I also intended to have a little bit more hops at 15, but those 7 grams represented the very last of my opened Willamettes.

Once more I pitched yeast from batch #35. This was the first time I'd saved a harvested yeast cake for use in more than one batch. Keeping those yeast for a few weeks doesn't seem to have been a problem: I only pitched 13 hours ago and fermentation is already visibly underway!

No comments:

Post a Comment