Monday, July 27, 2009

Another Success?

A busy weekend, so I didn't end up brewing anything. I learned, however, that my brewing buddy Cole has a wort chiller, so he will be brewing with me this coming Saturday. I did run by the homebrew store and pick up my grain and yeast for Mulligan ESB, so I will be red to go come Saturday.

Saturday morning I labeled the outside of my bottling bucket with a 1-gallon scale so that I can have at least a rough idea of how much I am bottling. I bottled #3 (Seven-Eleven Porter) and ended up with about 4.2 gallons altogether, which filled exactly 25 22oz bomber bottles. The taste was pretty good and had de-tarted a bit from when I racked it the previous week, so hopefully in a week or two I'll have another decent porter.

#2, Blackacre Butte, is getting pretty good reviews. I am very happy with how well it has been received all around.

I also racked #4, Foam Dome Stout, into the secondary. It actually tasted pretty good and stout-like; I'm optimistic about this one too. I have finally caught wise to the temperature effect on the hydrometer, so I am cooling any sample I take to 60° in the fridge before taking a reading. Doing this, my (mostly) final gravity was 1.009, with an estimated adjusted OG of 1.051 (original reading was 1.049 at about 75°), giving me about 5.5% ABV.

My biggest worry now is the temperature in the house, which will be getting into the nineties for the next week and a half, at least. I'm guessing this just means my beers will be a little fruity ... we'll just have to wait and see.

2 comments:

  1. FYI, I've been saving empty 22oz bottles for ya, I've got 7 so far in the box in the basement, I'll give it to ya when the box is full at a dozen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I'll have 2 more porters for the next poker night. Seven-eleven is, uh ... roasty.

    ReplyDelete