Monday, July 20, 2009

Efficiency

One thing I have not been doing is sampling the gravity of my wort after the mash, but before the boil. This statistic will allow me to compute my approximate mash efficiency. This value may not actually help me improve my efficiency, but it will be another number of which to keep track, and you know how I love numbers.

Some sample malt potentials

I have calculated some extremely rough efficiencies of my previous mashes based on an estimation of how much evaporation occurred during the boil:

#2 - 11.7lb, est. post-mash gravity of 1.042 - 60% eff
#3 - 10.3lb, est. post-mash gravity of 1.039 - 67% eff
#4 - 10lb, est. post-mash gravity of 1.041 - 68% eff

I don't want to rely too much on these because my estimates could be off significantly; however, they do provide a ballpark range and would seem to indicate that my experience is paying off.

As a humorous aside, applying the calculation to my extremely botched first batch gives me about 38% efficiency.

No comments:

Post a Comment