Sunday, July 19, 2009

Foam Dome Stout

I just brewed up batch #4 and things went mostly very smoothly. The sparge was notably slow, about 1 hr 10 min, perhaps due to the flaked barley.

The Recipe:
7 lb 2-row pale malt
2 lb flaked barley
1 lb black barley

11.25 AAU (64g @ 4.9% AA) Yakima Kent Golding hops @ 60 min

1 Irish Moss tablet @ 15 min

Wyeast 1084 - Irish Ale

Single infusion mash for 60 mins at about 154° using 13-14 qts and sparged with ~165-172° water until I had about 25 qts for the boil.

OG: 1.049
Est. IBU: 51.9

The only real problem I had other than the slow sparge was getting the mash to the correct temperature. I think I hadn't heated my water hot enough for dough-in (I was impatient and jumped the gun at around 165-168° or so instead of waiting to get it up over 170°), so there was a lot of futzing around to get it up to temperature. I also had a difficult time this week getting consistent temperature measurements in the mash -- whenever I moved the thermometer, I'd get something several degrees off.

The name of this batch is due to a volcanic eruption of foam when I poured the wort into the primary fermenter carboy. I had oxygenated about a quarter of it by vigorous shaking in the carboy which generated quite a lot of foam which I then underestimated when adding the rest of the wort. I wonder if it was due to extra proteins or something? My previous batches had relatively little foam.

No comments:

Post a Comment