Saturday, October 31, 2009

Terrible Tripel

Today I brewed up a tripel for the first time. I have been really getting into tripels as a style and I am very much looking forward to finding out if this one will be any good. The grain costs a bit more (using Euro Pilsner malt instead of 2-row American) but the hops content is quite low, so the price of the batch is probably a wash. I have decided to name it Terrible Tripel to honor today's holiday.

The Recipe:

11 lb European Pilsner malt
1 lb wheat malt

2 lb granulated white sugar, added with about 20 minutes left in the boil

7 AAU (15g @ 13% AA) Nugget @ 60
2 AAU (16g @ 3.5% AA) Czech Saaz @ 15

1 Irish Moss tablet @ 15 min

Wyeast 3787 - Trappist High Gravity (w/starter)

Single infusion mash for 60 minutes at about 152° using 15 quarts; fly sparged with ~170-180° water until I had about 25 quarts for the boil.

O.G.: 1.080
Est. IBU: 29.7

While I was brewing, I did some mental calculating and figured out that this is probably one of the most cost-effective beers I've made. With ingredients at about $32, I'm probably not much over $35 or $36 including water, gas, &c., so if I make 24 bottles I'll end up at $1.50 per bottle. A good tripel costs $3-6 or even $7 for a bomber, so even at an average of $5 I'm saving $3.50 per bottle. That means this batch alone will be saving me about $84 (and, brothers, I'd have no problem drinking 24 bottles of good tripel). Also, I'm estimating that this thing will finish in the 8.3%-8.5% ABV range, so theoretically it should last me awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment